Elana & JJ

Sunday, February 25, 2007

I am "Y"


This past week, I became curious about my so-called generation. According to which place you look, Generation Y is considered to be those born in 1978 or later, depending on where you look. I became curious b/c at my current job I am considerably younger than most of my co-workers and although I get along fine with everyone there does seem to be a disconnect. So, being that I work for so-called "baby boomers" and work with so-called "Generation X" I looked for how my so-called "Generation Y" differs. Although these are broad generalizations, I do see some of my tendencies in these and can sense that this does cause some uneasiness with older co-workers.

Generation Y at Work
  • Don't respond well to command-and-control managment

  • Will question the status quo and speak their mind.

  • Like an independent and creative environment. Want freedom to do their own projects.

  • Want jobs that accomodate family and personal lives

  • Have high expectations of themselves and expect to move up right away

  • Need for constant feedback and recognition

I've really noticed that I do question things more than some of my co-workers. I also do have high expectations of myself, but one of the things that I've faced with my job is a frustration with lack of feedback. This may very well go back to the feedback that was acceptable for my co-workers, won't be the same moving forward as more and more people my age enter the department. I'm fascinated by why we all act the way we do, so this is right up my alley.



Consider the things going on in the world that had an impact on me while growing up:


  • Computer. I've had a computer my entire life, and part of my early learning was on educational computer games on my parents Commodore 64. I had internet and email in high school.

  • First Gulf War - 3rd and 4th grade. I remember having a Barbie doll and being protective of it b/c my uncle was over in Saudi Arabia. All I remember of our weekly readers in school is the focus on the war.

  • OJ Simpson. Summer between 7th and 8th grade. I remember exactly where I was during the infamous white bronco, as well as us watching the verdict being read in 9th grade English class.

  • Oklahoma City bombing - 8th grade. Found out during English and thought about how I was in downtown OK City a year earlier for New Years.

  • School Shootings - especially Jonesboro. It's a different experience to have those going on while you're still in high school. The spring after the Jonesboro shooting happened, I played soccer at Jonesboro and although I don't remember if we won the game, I remember thinking that I was probably playing against people who knew those that were killed.

Long post, but this just gets me thinking about why I am the way I am.



Below are links to 2 web sites that are pretty good reads with regards to managing Generation Y.



http://www.usatoday.com/money/workplace/2005-11-06-gen-y_x.htm



http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobPoster/SmallBiz/articles.aspx?articleid=ATL_0027MANAGOUTGGEN&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=8f5d23e80ea14989af4f8120e4823678-225746707-VA-4

2 Comments:

Blogger katandkarl said...

yes. def. y's. for sure. too bad i can't secretly email this blog post to my freaking boss.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Wow, I'm just in total shock that you updated...just a few weeks ago I had given up checking in since it'd been since July! Glad you're back in action.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home